A woman was killed and at least two others were injured by a man who went on an apparent rampage with a knife in Sydney's Central Business District on Tuesday.
In a statement, the Consulate-General of China in Sydney confirmed that a Chinese national had been injured during the attack.
Although it is still not clear if all three incidents are linked, all the attacks occurred in close proximity.
According to New South Wales State Police, at "about 2:00 p.m. local time, emergency services responded following reports a man was walking along York Street, Sydney, armed with a knife."
Footage posted on social media shows the assailant jumped on top of a car and faced off with a member of the public who used a chair to defend himself.
Later, bystanders, including a firefighter, used implements such as chairs and a crate to restrain the offender before authorities arrived on the scene.
Offering his gratitude to the heroic Sydneysiders who intervened to stop the alleged attacker, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison took to social media to praise their actions.
"The violent attack that took place in Sydney this afternoon is deeply concerning," he said. "[But] the attacker is now in police custody following the brave actions of those who were present at the scene and were able to restrain him."
Although police said the threat to the community had now been negated, several Sydney streets remain on lockdown and numerous crime scenes have been established in the area.
The motive of the attack is currently unknown.
(With input from Xinhua)