Ambulances are seen outside a hospital in Negombo, north of Colombo, Sri Lanka, April 21, 2019. (Xinhua/Samila)
The death toll from the multiple explosions which occurred across Sri Lanka on Sunday has risen to 290 while over 500 have been injured, police said Monday.
Earlier reports had put the number of casualties at 228, with 450 wounded in the nine attacks that occurred at three churches and four hotels across the country on Sunday.
The Sri Lankan Tourism Development Authority said in a statement on Sunday evening that 32 foreigners were among those killed.
Police spokesperson SP Ruwan Gunasekara said 24 suspects had been arrested so far and investigations were ongoing to nab more suspects. Two of the suspects were nabbed Monday morning from Dambulla in the Central Province.
Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said all arrested were local citizens.
Police investigation into the bombings will also examine reports that the intelligence community failed to detect or warn of possible suicide attacks before the violence, according to local media reports.