Six people died after being trapped in a biogas tank in Yongshan county, Yunnan province, on Monday, according to a release issued by Yongshan's emergency management bureau on Wednesday.
At around 12:20 pm on Monday, a villager surnamed Hou was trapped in an overflow tank of livestock manure when cleaning it. Five others, including Hou's father, attempted a rescue but were also trapped.
Immediately after the accident, the county's fire, emergency management, public security and health departments rushed to the scene. Four of the victims showed no signs of life. The remaining two died after being sent to hospital for treatment.
During the summer, high temperatures can lead to rapid gas production in septic tanks and biogas tanks, which can cause accidental poisoning. The public is urged to stay vigilant, strengthen preventive measures and follow standard procedures to prevent accidents.
A local government worker told media they were dealing with matters the victims' families and comforting them. "We are also deeply saddened by this incident," they said.