The government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will spare no efforts in ensuring that the district council election will be held safely, orderly and on time, a HKSAR government official said Friday.
Patrick Nip, secretary for constitutional and mainland affairs of the HKSAR government, told media that the HKSAR government has always been and will always be determined to put on a successful election.
Nip admitted that there are existing risks that could jeopardize the district council election slated for next Sunday, such as massive destruction to infrastructure facilities, paralyzed public transport and threats to personal safety.
The whole society must do its best to eliminate these risks if the election is to be held smoothly, said Nip.
Nip said the HKSAR government will continue to prepare for the election and arrange contingency plans for any emergencies, while closely monitoring relevant developments and trying to make sure that the election will be held on time.
The 2019 District Council Ordinary Election of the HKSAR is set to be held on Nov. 24, with over 4.13 million voters registered to cast their ballots.
But intensifying violence in the region has cast a shadow on the election as an increasing number of candidates have reportedly suffered varying degrees of threats, doxxing and online bullying ahead of the polling day.
Earlier this month, Junius Ho, a HKSAR lawmaker running for the re-election in district council of Tuen Mun, was stabbed in the chest by a male in his election campaign event.