The four-year search for the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 that disappeared in 2014 officially ended on Tuesday.
U.S.-based Ocean Infinity had been using a deep-sea vessel to survey a vast area of the southern Indian Ocean.
The search however yielded nothing, and the Malaysian government says it ha sno plans to begin any new hunts.
An initial search, carried out by Malaysia, China and Australia, was called off in January last year. It was estimated to have cost some 200 million Australian dollars ($151 million).
MH370 disappeared on 8 March 2014 while flying from Kuala Lampur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.
Malaysian transport minister Anthony Loke last week said the latest search was due to end in April but was extended twice.
The disappearance of the plane remains one of the most baffling occurrences to date.
Several theories on what might have happened to the ill-fated flight have been put forward, including pilot suicide.
Australian investigators however rejected claims that the plane was deliberately brought down by the pilot.
The only physical sign of the plane has been debris that washed up in eastern Africa and nearby islands, far from where experts believed the flight disappeared. A wing fragment and part of the plane’s flaperon are among the remnants that have turned up.