Authorities in Northeast China's Liaoning province have vowed to address any negligence or corruption after a coal mine accident that killed seven people last week was found to have been concealed.
The accident occurred at Fuxin Honglin Coal Mine on June 27 in Fuxin city, resulting in the deaths of seven people, with seven others sustaining minor injuries, the city's production safety authority said in a statement on Wednesday.
An investigation was launched upon discovering information about the safety production accident, and preliminary findings revealed that the mine operator "deliberately concealed the incident" after it happened.
The injured individuals are receiving treatment in hospital and their conditions are stable, according to the statement.
The public security authorities have filed a case regarding the accident and have taken compulsory measures against those responsible. The investigation and inquiry procedures are currently underway.
Hao Peng, secretary of the Liaoning provincial Party committee, emphasized the need to investigate the concealing of the accident and identify hidden risks to prevent any potential hazards.
Li Lecheng, governor of Liaoning, held on-site meetings regarding the concealed safety production accident at the mine on Wednesday, and emphasized the need to conduct a thorough and meticulous investigation in order to uncover the causes and identify the responsible parties.
Li highlighted the importance of addressing any negligence, misconduct, corruption or misconduct that surfaced during the handling of the accident.
He also visited the injured and their families in hospital, inquiring about their needs and difficulties.
Separately, a provincial investigation team has been set up in Shanxi province to find out the problems of dereliction of duty after media reported the accused concealment of mine accidents in Daixian county that killed at least 17 miners.
China News Weekly reported on June 29 that a tip-off said there have been multiple mine accidents resulting in the deaths of over 30 miners at the Jingcheng Iron Mine from 2007 to 2022.
The media conducted investigations in provincial regions including Shanxi, Shaanxi and Chongqing to verify the claims and confirmed the deaths of at least 17 miners, according to the report.
Lan Fo'an, Shanxi's Party secretary, has issued instructions for a prompt investigation and disposal of the case, emphasizing the seriousness of the incident and the need for strict accountability. He stressed that the problems of dereliction of duty and transfer of benefits of public officials behind the concealment should be investigated and strictly handled.