Two people were injured yesterday after a natural gas leak caused an explosion in a residential building in Shanghai's Pudong New Area.
Forty other residents were also affected by the blast, which occurred at 7am, the city's fire department said.
The leak occurred in an apartment of a six-story building in Jiyang Road. The fire department said the blast was triggered by a spark when the tenant turned on the lights.
A man living in the apartment suffered burns on his face, while another person living on the third floor was hit by a falling object. More than 20 people were evacuated. The force of the explosion shattered several windows in the apartment block and nearby buildings.
Neighbors told xinmin.cn that the tenant was seen staggering out of the apartment covered in blood. Clothes left out to dry were blown away up to 6 meters, they said.
"It was like an earthquake. A big bang woke me up," a person was quoted as saying.
The local neighborhood committee and the property management company were helping to comfort residents and carry out repairs, it said.
The gas company also sent a team to examine the building to prevent further incidents. The owner of the property where the blast occurred has promised to cover the cost of the damage.