Text: | Print|

Mother, daughter die after collapsing into manure pit

2013-06-27 16:03 Shanghai Daily Web Editor: Wang YuXia

A mother and daughter died in Hebei Province after inhaling toxic fumes from a manure pit while attempting to dredge up a mobile phone, a newspaper reported today.

The incident occurred on the hot afternoon of June 16. Chen Haibing's daughter collapsed into the manure pit after inhaling methane and ammonia when she tried to pick up her mobile phone.

Chen and his wife heard their daughter and rushed over. But they also collapsed into the manure pit from the fumes, Yanzhao Metropolis Daily reported.

Zhang Tonghua, 64, found them lying motionless in the manure pit and cried for help. Villagers soon rushed over. Yue Xinping jumped into the pit and lifted them up while several others helped pull them out, the report said.

The three were rushed to the hospital, but only Chen survived.

Villagers donated money for the funerals and the local Party committee sent Chen 1,000 yuan (US$162.6). Schools in the area gave Chen nearly 10,000 yuan, the paper reported.

Comments (0)
Most popular in 24h
  Archived Content
Media partners:

Copyright ©1999-2018 Chinanews.com. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.