Text: | Print|

Woman's stomach explodes after overeating  

女子过年吃太多导致胃爆炸 腹腔有可燃气体喷出

2014-02-08 14:58 Ecns.cn Web Editor: Yao Lan
(Photo source: Xinhuanet.com)

(Photo source: Xinhuanet.com)

(ECNS) -- The stomach of a 58-year-old woman exploded after she ate and drank too much, JSCHINA.com.cn reported on Saturday.

According to a post by a nutritionist at the Beijing Friendship Hospital, the patient was sent to a hospital in Suzhou, Jiangsu province, one hour after she suffered from severe abdominal swelling caused by excessive eating. She was diagnosed with gastrectasia.

During the operation, gas burst out of her abdomen and caused a fire. The operation continued after the fire was put out and the patient's entire stomach was finally removed.

"Normally, people will stop eating when they feel full. However, drinking alcohol during a rich meal can make people ignore their body's signals, and they eat too much," said Wang Hao, a doctor at the Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital in Jiangsu province.

Wang explained that the fire occurred when the ethyl alcohol in the patient's stomach came in contact with the electric surgical knife used during the operation.

Comments (0)
Most popular in 24h
  Archived Content
Media partners:

Copyright ©1999-2018 Chinanews.com. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.