China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC) has won the bid for construction of Africa's highest building, which will be located in Morocco, the company announced on May 17.
According to CRCC, the company will cooperate with the largest Moroccan contractor, The General Construction Company of Casablanca (TGCC), to build the project that will tower 250 meters above Morocco's capital city of Rabat. The monumental building will become the highest building in all of Africa.
CRCC would take 60 percent of responsibility for the construction, leaving TGCC with the remaining 40 percent. Their cooperation defeated seven other competitors in three rounds of bidding.
The construction contract was for $380 million, with a designated total floor area of 86,000 square meters. The building could be used as office space, hotels or high-end apartments. It is being designed and will be constructed in an environmentally friendly way. Once completed, it will become a landmark building in Morocco and Africa, broadcasting Morocco's economic prosperity.
CRCC said in its announcement that the construction contract, which was finalized just after the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing, will not only positively impact Morocco's skyscraper technologies, it will also help to promote economic and cultural exchanges between Morocco and China.