Friday May 25, 2018
Home > News > Society
Text:| Print|

Disney environmentally friendly energy move

2013-05-31 07:55 Xinhua     Web Editor: qindexing comment

The under-construction Shanghai Disney Resort will adopt a new green technology to supply some of its energy, boosting the resort's environmentally friendly credentials, the Shanghai Disney Resort Management Company announced on Thursday.

The new technology using natural gas as the primary energy source will supply the resort with heating, power, cooling and compressed air via distributed energy systems, thereby increasing the overall energy efficiency of the resort three-fold, according to sources with the company.

The utilities will be co-generated by a combined cooling and heating plant, to be built and operated on the resort site by the Shanghai International Tourism and Resort Zone New Energy Company Limited, a joint-venture company owned by Huadian Fuxin Energy Corporation Limited; Shanghai Shendi (Group) Co,. Ltd; and Shanghai Yiliu Energy Group Co., Ltd.

The plant is a grid-tied, gas-fired power facility which co-generates cooling and heating via engine waste heat, and produces compressed air by self-generated electricity.

With a total investment of 520 million yuan (84.8 million U.S. dollars), the project will supply hot water and chilled water for heating and cooling, domestic hot water, and all compressed air needs for Shanghai Disney Resort's daily operation in the most energy-efficient and environmentally friendly way.

The project is designed, constructed and operated by the Shanghai International Tourism and Resort Zone New Energy Company Limited, and will become operational in time to support the resort's opening, scheduled for the end of 2015.

Upon completion, the primary energy utilization rate of the project will be up to over 80 percent, much higher than that of conventional energy resources, which stands at around 45 percent, said Huo Guangzhao, vice president of the Huadian Fuxin Energy Corporation Limited.

It is expected to generate 170 million kilowatt-hours of on-grid energy annually, which can save about 20,000 tonnes of standard coal and reduce 75,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions, according to Huo.

"Shanghai Disney Resort has been devoted to seeking new technology and business solutions which reduce our impact on the environment, save resources, and promote sustainable technology, and to supporting all kinds of cooperation with our local partners," said Howard Brown, senior vice president overseeing development of the resort.

"The project is an excellent example of partnership, localization and Disney's long-term commitment to environment protection. We are excited to be creating a world-class destination here in Shanghai to showcase environmentally friendly and leading Chinese and international technologies," he added.

Shanghai Disney Resort, the world's sixth Disney amusement park and the first on the Chinese mainland, will be located in Pudong New Area, Shanghai. It will also be the third of its kind in Asia, after the company's theme parks in Tokyo and Hong Kong.

The resort is a joint venture between the Walt Disney Co. and Shanghai Shendi Group, with Shendi holding 57 percent of shares and Disney the remaining 43 percent.

Ground was broken for the project on April 8, 2011.

Comments (0)

Copyright ©1999-2011 All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.