The Tianjin government's announcement that it will build a monument on the site of the deadly Binhai blasts to remember the people who lost their lives in last month's explosions has triggered dispute on social media. [Special coverage]
The Binhai New Area Planning and Land Resources Administration announced on Friday that it will build a 24-hectare park on the blast site and it said that a monument to the dead will be given pride of place.
The authorities also plan to build primary schools and kindergartens in the area.
The announcement has triggered discussion on social media with many netizens saying they would prefer to know who is to blame for the blast.
"The Tianjin blasts were a man-made disaster. What the public calls for is to trace accountability and strengthen supervision to avoid similar tragedies. Building a monument cannot comfort people and it would be a humiliation," a Sina Weibo user with the username "shuixia" commented.
Eleven officials, including the head of the Tianjin Municipal Transportation Commission, have been arrested for allegedly neglecting their duties. Also, 12 employees of Tianjin International Ruihai Logistics, the firm that owns the warehouse that exploded, have been detained.
The local government also vowed to provide over 5,000 apartments to those whose homes were damaged in the explosions and are willing to purchase new homes. However, it is not clear who will be eligible to receive a new home and the size of the subsidies they will get.
A total of 17,000 homes were damaged and more than 170 companies affected.
A homeowner surnamed Pang who lived in a community near the blast site told the Global Times on Sunday that homeowners and the authorities are still discussing detailed compensation plans.
The deadly blasts rocked the city's port area on August 12, leaving at least 161 people dead.