An official from Tianjin Port Group Co on Wednesday denied any connections between the port group and the company handling storing chemicals that caused the blasts last week. [Special coverage]
Zheng Qingyue, president of Tianjin Port Co Ltd, said at a press conference on Wednesday morning that the port company and the logistics firm that handled the chemicals are both located in the port area, but the two companies have no relationship.
Zheng is the first official from the port company to meet the press, more than a week after the blasts that killed at least 114 and injured hundreds as of Wednesday.
Previously, Beijing News reported that Tianjin Port Group Co. is one of the organizations who approved the establishment of Ruihai International Logistics Co, the logistics company that stored the dangerous chemicals.
Which companies can operate in the port area is decided by the port group, the report quoted a local official of work safety as saying. Zheng said the company will not shirk its responsibility if it is found accountable in the incident.
"If any individuals from the company are found to be accountable, we will have zero tolerance and impose tough punishment," he said. Zheng also paid respects to the victims of the blasts on behalf of the company's staff members.
Cao Xiaohong, vice mayor of Tianjin, said more than 4,000 doctors and nurses are working in Tianjin to save the injured people in last week's blasts near Tianjin port.
As of 9 am on Wednesday, the medical staff have completed 464 operations, and 107 people have left hospital, although about 677 remain hospitalized and 56 are in a critical conditions.
Cao said a panel of 15 psychological experts is conducting one-on-one psychological assistance for those being critically injured and dozens of psychological consultants are carrying out screening.