British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond on Thursday offered his "deep condolences" over the explosions in China's Tianjin city, which has killed at least 44 people so far. [Special coverage]
The death toll has climbed to 44 from two massive blasts that ripped through a warehouse in north China's port city of Tianjin as of Thursday noon, according to rescue headquarters.
Twelve firefighters were among the dead. A total of 520 people have been hospitalized, including 66 critically injured.
"I express my deep condolences for the tragic loss of life and the hundreds injured in the Tianjin explosions," Hammond said in a statement.
Hammond, who is on an official visit in China, said he was meeting local workers at the Airbus factory in the city just hours before the explosions happened and he paid tribute to Tianjin emergency workers who have been fighting fires and treating casualties.
"I have conveyed Britain's condolences to senior Chinese ministers and our Embassy in Beijing is in touch with relevant national and local authorities," the foreign secretary added.
Hammond also expressed condolences over a landslide in northwest China's Shaanxi Province, which buried the living quarters of a mining company and left more than 60 people missing.
"I offer my condolences to China for the lives lost in the Shaanxi landslide. My thoughts are with the family and friends of the many miners and others who are believed to have died in this tragedy.
More than 1.3 million cubic meters of earth buried 15 dorms and three houses at around 12:30 a.m. on Wednesday at Wuzhou Mining Co. in the mountainous county of Shanyang.