China rejected accusations from U.S. officials that Chinese hackers gained access to the sensitive background information submitted by intelligence and military personnel for security clearances on Monday.
"There are too many rumors on condition of anonymity. I don't have time to comment on each of them," Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said, referring to the U.S. allegation of China on hacking.
Earlier this month, databases containing standard personnel records of government employees were hacked. Several U.S. senators said the attack came from China.
What the international community hear and see is that the U.S. steals information, even in an organized way, from political figures, businesses and individuals in violation of international laws, Lu said.
"U.S. cybertheft is widely condemned," he said.
He reminded the U.S. not to forget it owes an answer to the international community on hack charges against it. "It will be more persuasive to make its own things clear before groundlessly blaming others."