Four Chinese were brutally killed at their bakery in Moresby, the capital of Papua New Guinea. So far, the police have had very few leads as to who committed the gruesome murders and why. Chinese embassy officials say the case is still under investigation and that no suspects have been arrested so far.
"A local newspaper said on Thursday that four suspects had been caught. But we checked with the police, and the news is not true. They have held eight local employees of the shop as part of the investigation, but no breakthrough yet," said Cao Junjun from the Chinese Embassy in Papua New Guinea.
The four Chinese victims, three male and one female, all from Shanghai, were stabbed to death at their shop on Monday. Another Chinese national at the scene managed to hide on the second floor of the shop and survived. Police say the victims had multiple stab wounds, and their money had been stolen.
A local police officer said the suspects were very dangerous and raised security concern for the community.
Meanwhile, the Chinese government has attached great importance to the incident. It is now assisting the victims' families to travel to Papua New Guinea.
"We have immediately launched an emergency mechanism to deal with the incident. We urge the local government and police to apprehend the attackers and bring them to justice as soon as possible and take measures to guarantee the safety and legitimate rights of Chinese citizens," Chinese Foreign Minister spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.
Papua New Guinea is an Oceanian country, with a total population at around 7 million. There are currently around 10,000 Chinese living in the country.
Copyright ©1999-2018
Chinanews.com. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.