An air ambulance transporting four Chinese workers of an oil company is seen upon landing at the airport in Bogota, Colombia, on Nov. 22, 2012. (Xinhua/Jhon Paz)
Chinese Ambassador to Colombia Wang Xiao (C) shakes hands with one of four freed Chinese workers of an oil company at the airport in Bogota, Colombia, on November 22, 2012. (Xinhua/Jhon Paz)
Four Chinese hostages kidnapped by Colombian rebels last year have been released. They are reported to be in good condition and have arrived in the capital, Bogota.
The three contractors and a translator, were the only foreigners known to be held by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC. They were working for the British company Emerald Energy, when they were kidnapped in June last year. They were released around midnight Wednesday to the International Red Cross.
This comes three days after FARC and the Colombian government began peace talks in Cuba.
Chinese Ambassador in Colombia, Wang Xiaoyuan says they're helping the workers to return to China and be reunited with their families as soon as possible.
Wang said, "As soon as doctors approve them for long-distance travel, we will send them home. Colombian authorities have also promised to cooperate to make that happen."
Copyright ©1999-2011 Chinanews.com. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.